November is a time in the year when nature seems to change gear: from doing to being, however this does not mean that you stop ‘doing’ things in the garden.
- Sweep up leaves and put them on the compost
- Mulch the soil to protect it from the weather
- Protect you crops that are likely to come to harm from the winter. Use cloches to do this.
- Clean out your shed and clean and repair your tools.
- Dig over your empty beds.
a home made cloche that is easy to move to where you need it.
make sure that it is tired down against the winter gales.
When I was in the States last winter, I was amazed how cold it got. I then stated to think about all those vines that you might thing are freezing to death. But that is not so, it is the grapes that need the sunshine; not the vine.
So why not make a wire fence to support some vines? Do it now and leave them for a couple of weeks before you put the vines against them; doing this means that you can tighten up your wires without the plants getting in the way.