Monday 24 February 2014

Timely tips Ninth week: February.


  • This is a picture of my plot at the end of March 2013. This year it it still under water from the winter floods. My plot is on the banks of the river Thames which is in flood. The water has not yet started to go down. Many people further down the Thames, have got over 6 feet of water in their house. Plus many farmers have had to move their livestock off there farm due to the floods. We have yet to know what damage it has done to the soil. Upsetting as it is to me, it is only my plot and not my house or livelihood. I am making my sowings of crops in deep boxes on my growing benches. During the coming  year I intend to make many more of these boxes and fill them with compost so that this will not happen to me again. I need my plot to grow food for the table.
  • On the frist occasion when the soil is dry enough,the sowing of onions should be made.There is no question that seedling resulting from early sowing are a lot freer from insect  and fungoid pest than those that grow rapidly from later sowings. Sow the seeds thinly in drills half an inch deep and one foot apart, making the soil fairly firm.
  • Another extremely valuable vegetable that is both hardy and nutritious the leek. A sowing may be made on the frist favorable day and under the same conditions as advised for onions. I is best to make a seed bed in and odd corner of the garden for this crop, because later the young plants will have to be transplanted. 
  • The parsnip is another crop which really appreciates a long season of growth. Seeds should be sown now on deeply cultivated but not recently manured land. Sow in lines 15 inches asunder, distributing the seeds in colonies of three or four at eight inches apart.  
  • Get your leek and onion seeds from Amazon here

No comments:

Post a Comment